Sunday, November 18, 2012

Adjusting to Hong Kong

Our first impression of Hong Kong was not good.  The airport scene was unbelievable--teeming hordes of people, vast spaces.  We walked (and I'm not exaggerating because I noted the time) for thirty minutes at breakneck speed, just to avoid being trampled.  This included walking on the whatever-ya-call-em speeded up walkways as well as just regular walking, just to get to the immigration queue where we stood in an interminable line of humanity hellbent on getting into a city where they would be further crushed by the enormous numbers of people.  All very frightening, and frankly, not very fun after beautiful and, relatively speaking, very relaxed New Zealand and Sydney.  We emerged from the baggage collection into daylight, and found a taxi which drove crazily for 45 minutes before finally reaching our Harbour Grand Hotel.  Try as I may I couldn't get the seat belt to fasten and I prayed for God's forgiveness for my sins as I surely was not going to survive another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment